At about 8:20 PM, 16-year-old William Butcher, was running the family milking machine in the dairy barn which was occupied by 17 cows. Along with William, the events of the case would have 3 witnesses of the Butcher family, and a fourth, non-family witness.  As William performed his chores, he was listening to a local newscast, when the reception was suddenly replaced by static. At about the same time, a tractor which was powering the milking machine stopped. In a moment, a Holstein bull began to act up, pulling at a chain that held him to a steel bar.  William ran to a window to see if he could find the source that was causing the ruckus. He was shocked to see a large, oval-shaped object near the ground. The UFO was about 1/4 mile away from the dairy barn. He would later estimate that the UFO was about 50 feet long and 20 feet thick.  Butcher could clearly see a reddish vapor underneath the object, and hear a steady beep-beep. He watched the object for only a few seconds, before it shot up into the air, and disappeared into the clouds.  Butcher phoned the house, and told other family members what was happening outside. Family members came running outside, and as they did the first thing they noticed was a strange odor, and a glowing green color in the clouds where the unknown object had disappeared.


The Investigation

The witnesses at the scene soon discovered that the bull had actually bent the steel bar, in a effort to get loose. Unexpectedly, about a 1/2 hour later, the UFO reappeared, circling overhead. At this point, William’s mother called the State Police.  Two State Policemen arrived, asked questions, and checked out the evidence. They then called the Air Force.  The next day, Captain James Dorsey, Operations Officer, 4621st AF Group, arrived, bringing with him four technicians. Upon examining the ground, they discovered a strange, purple liquid in several places. The grass was singed in places, and explained marks, two inches wide and two inches apart, were found.  After Air Force personnel concluded their investigation, Jeffrey Gow, of NICAP took samples of the purple substance and singed grass and foliage. The samples were sent for examination to the Kawecki Chemical Company. Company president was a NICAP adviser.  “Spectrographic analysis showed the main elements of the liquid to be aluminum, iron and silicon. Some phosphorous was found in the weed samples, which the analyst said might cause a phosphate smell, explaining the odor.” (NICAP)



Strangely, the very next night, and not far from the Cherry Creek site, State Trooper Richard Ward saw an unknown object with 8 circular lights. He stated that the object flew twice as fast as a jet, and a faint sound could be heard coming from the object.  Subsequent investigation was carried out by Dr. Fred C. Fair and John Maxwell, of NICAP New York Subcommittee No. 2. After concluding their analysis of the case, they stated that they believe the incident to be genuine.  To add to the mystique of the case, when William was questioned many years later, he admitted that the Air Force told him in no uncertain terms, not to discuss the events of the cases with anyone, or else he would suffer the consequences.  NOTE: THE ABOVE IMAGE IS A RENDERING.





Leave a Reply